Week 9 Reading: Mahabharata by C.A. Kincaid Part B

One thing that stood out to me in this part of the story was a scene from Chapter XV: The Great Battle.  Yudhisthira had just received the news that his uncle would not give him and his brothers five villages so that they could live at peace and not have war, though King Dhritarashtra, under the influence of his son, tells them that they cannot have five villages or even one village.  The dialogue that ensues from the Pandavas stuck out to me.  Yudhisthira seemed thoughtful and perplexed, while Arjuna was very fired up.  He claimed he would not stay in exile, and would take out his uncle's entire army with his bow.  Bhima was on the same page, claiming that he had to fulfill the promises and threats he had made against those that had wronged him and his family.  On this note, Yudhisthira decided that they will go to war.  He sent heralds to all the Indian kings in attempt to gain their allegiance.  He was able to acquire the soldiers from King Virata's army, and also made an alliance with Drupada.  Even King Krishna decided to join the Pandavas and be Arjuna's charioteer.  The story also mentions that there were a few soldiers that the Pandavas were going against that could actually match the power and might of Bhima and Arjuna.  I was surprised to find that King Dhritarashtra was among the soldiers, as he was the son of an immortal.  I didn't remember him being powerful or having a fighting role the first time I read the Mahabharata.  I was not surprised that Drona was mentioned, as he had taught the Pandavas much of their skills when they trained.  I remembered him as the general of King Dhritarashtra's army from the first time I read the story.  I still don't know how I feel about the Pandavas tricking Drona in order to gain a leg up in battle.  Finally, the last enemy soldier powerful enough to stand up to the Pandavas was Karna.  I have mixed feelings about Karna.  He seems like an anti-hero.  I can't help but feel bad for him, and I can even empathize with some of the decisions he made as he was treated so terribly.

Duryodhana presents his army to Drona. 
Source: commons

Bibliography: The Indian Heroes by C.A. Kincaid (the Mahabharata story)

Bibliography: Bibliography: The Indian Heroes by C.A. Kincaid (the Mahabharata story)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to myself

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia