Week 11 Reading Notes: Shri Krishna of Dwarka Part A

The story of Krishna's youth made me think about some stories from the bible that I remember.  King Kansa reminded me of the king who tried to kill all of the Hebrew baby boys in the story of Moses.  He also reminded me of King Herod when he attempted to kill the baby boys after finding out a new king was born.  When I was researching on what topic I wanted to write about for my topic, I remember doing some research on Krishna.  I found the story about Krishna sucking the life out of the demon Putana's breast, so it was really neat to hear that story again though this time with some context.  I like the idea of King Kansa as a villain--it would be interesting to write a story about a king that feels threatened enough to kill babies.  This particular story, using King Kansa, Putana and Krishna,  is one that I feel I could put a twist on and write about.  It must have been super intimidating for King Kansa to receive the news that his demoness had died while breast-feeding a baby boy! I had never heard about the demon Trinavarta before, and it was fascinating that this demon was a part of the same story as Putana.  He seems more straight to the point than Putana--going straight for the tornado whirlwind to get Krishna rather than charming the parents first.  It made me smiling seeing that though Trinavarta's strength was great, it was no comparison to baby Krishna's strength.  And then Krishna easily strangled him! I would love to write about a baby that is powerful enough to take on demons...that seems like such a fun concept to tackle.  It was nice getting to know more about Krishna's childhood--I now have a broader picture on who Krishna is as a whole.  I never knew how ornery Krishna was in his younger years.  It was neat to see Krishna the boy calmly dismantle the five headed snake that was haunting his village as well.  His power is so effortless.  I think I will write a story about Krishna--I could make it in a similar fashion to my Hanuman story.  That was easily my favorite to write! I'm looking forward to part B of the reading.

Baby Krishna is depicted with jewels of gold.
Source: commons

Bibliography: Shri Krishna of Dwarka by CA Kincaid

Bibliography: Shri Krishna of Dwarka and Other Stories by C.A. Kincaid

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to myself

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia