Reading Notes: The Divine Archer

     In this version of version of the Ramayana, Hanuman again stuck out as one of the most interesting characters and also my favorite!  I noticed some subtle differences in this version of the story, but I noticed some bigger differences when reading about Hanuman.  For instance, in this version it never mentioned the source of Hanuman's powers.  In the last one it mentioned that Hanuman was the son of wind god.  In this one it basically straight up said that Hanuman had magical powers, and thus could jump the 30 miles across the ocean to Lanka.  Besides from his jumping abilities, we see different magic that Hanuman is capable of.  For instance he's able to shrink himself to a minuscule size, and does this when interacting with the sea serpent.   I think he is a really awesome character, and vital in Rama's success in his siege on Lanka.  Another character which stuck out to me more in this version was Jatayu's brother the vulture.  It made me think about the mass amount of support that Rama receives throughout his story.  Not only from Lakshman, but also from hermits and even different species like vultures and monkeys.  Though it is for good reason--throughout the entire story Rama has the purest of intentions.  He is very honorable.  Which is why I was again surprised  by his actions at the end of the story! He started a war for this woman, who was his true love.  He literally slayed the 10 headed demon king! I think he always knew that Sita had been faithful...it was surprising that he was swayed by the opinions of those he ruled.  You could tell that he didn't really seem whole without Sita.  I liked this version of the story because we got a little more detail about Rama's sons.  It seemed like they brought out a tender side to Rama that had been lost when Sita went away.  I think he probably had a feeling all along...after all they must've looked like him.   I think it would be fun to write a story about Hanuman's powers or Rama's lost sons.


Source: Commons  
Bibliography: The Divine Archer by F. J. Gould


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to myself

My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia