My Favorite Place: Cairns, Australia

Ten years ago I traveled to Australia with my brother, father, and grandfather.  Several years before this trip, my grandfather had saved up his money to support my sick grandmother if she needed to have extended stays in a hospital or nursing home.  Sadly, her health deteriorated quickly and she passed away before she ever needed assisted living in a nursing home. My grandfather, having saved a fair sum of money, decided he wanted to take his grandchildren traveling around the world.  This trip to Australia would be the first of several travels outside of the United States.  Though we traveled to several cities within Australia, including Sydney, I remember the city of Cairns as my favorite stop on the trip.  In fact, I now remember it as my favorite place.  It was a beach town, with beautiful white sand beaches and delicious sea food.  I was able to snorkel around the Great Barrier Reef with my brother and father, and we even spotted a small shark.  To this day, I know for a fact that at some point in my life I would love to go back to this city that left such an impression on me. 

A picture showing one of Cairns' beautiful beaches and its lush vegetation.  The image was taken by Julia Chapple on July 3, 2013.  



Comments

  1. Oh, Australia: that is a place I would love to go someday too, Christian... what a great gift for your grandfather to have given you. It's been terrifying to hear news about the fires; I have friends in Australia, some near the fires, some not near, but it is sad news for the whole country. Let's hope we can all learn from this to make better choices going forward.......
    About links in Blogger: instead of just pasting in the raw URL, you can type some link text, highlight that, click the link icon and then paste in the URL, which will give your readers a more usable link, instead of just the raw address; for example: Julia Chapple could be a clickable link. You can give that link style a try in a future blog post to see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the heads up! And thank you for the response! :)

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite places to go is the beach and Cairns looks very beautiful in the picture, the water looks blue and it's so green and filled with trees and the mountains peaking in the background, I can see why it became your favorite spot. It was so sweet of your grandfather to use that money and take all his grandchildren on vacation with him, you probably created a lot of bond memories together. My grandparents live in Mexico and I moved out of the country when I was very young so I never got to really spend time with them, and it is one of the things I regret now most so it nice to hear your story of traveling with your grandfather

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to myself